Monday, May 23, 2011

My Monday

I went to the dentist for an exam/cleaning today. I have a cavity...two, actually. I'm really sad about this. I kind of feel like I've failed. These are my first cavities.

Elsie read/followed along with the pictures in the BOB books tonight. There's no doubt she figured out some of the words by looking at the pictures, but there was some definite reading going on as well. I was so proud!

I've been a little too lax in my eating the last few weeks. I was just sick of caring. But today I'm back on the wagon. I forgot how hard it is. I've realized, too, that part of my problem has been boredom. Aaron's gone a lot, Elsie and I are home a lot, and I like food. Not a great combination! It also doesn't help that I'm obsessed with this show called "Unique Sweets" on the cooking channel. I now have several bakeries I need to go to when I go to any of the major U.S. cities.

I'm not subbing anymore this school year. It feels so good to not think about that. The last day I subbed a couple weeks ago was rough. End of the school year + having a sub = Horrible behavior. I really had to hold my tongue a couple of times. It's amazing how aggravating second graders can be. This whole subbing thing has made me question whether or not I want to go back to teaching. Is it really my thing? I remember loving it, but is that just because I was young, energetic, and taught in Utah County? It's still my plan in a couple of years (you can't beat the schedule!) but I'm a little nervous about it. I just keep telling myself that subbing is not the same as teaching...right?!

6 comments:

Mama T. said...

Subbing is not the same as teaching. You remember, when you start the year and set your procedures and boundaries, things go much better. Don't give up:)

Kacey Nielsen said...

If subbing were the same as teaching, you couldn't pay people enough to do it full time. I am POSITIVE about that.

That is so awesome about Elsie! I have heard great things about the BOB books. Have you ever seen starfall.com? Scarlet has been loving it and it is a great early reading site.

Colleen said...

I know just what you mean about eating when you are bored...I am the same! And those darn cooking shows always get me too. And I agree with your other comments, subbing does not equal teaching. When they are "your" kids the rules/boundaries are set in the beginning and everything goes more smoothly from there.

Angie said...

yeah healthy eating just isn't fun. i totally get into a rut too.

you won't need to sub when you and I open up our Bakery. :)

::lindsay said...

That's awesome about Elsie. Keep up the good work, Elsie!!!

I agree with Kacey---there is no way subbing is the same. Subbing SUCKS. My last day is Thursday and I'm super pumped about that.

Oh, and maybe it's a good thing you and Angie are a few states away. If you guys opened a bakery and I lived by you, I'd be super FAT and no one wants to see a fat Asian.

auntiescary said...

Kimmy - I got my first cavity when I lived with you guys. I cried. I read Angie's comment about a bakery. When & where - I'll be there. Thinking about you so often and keeping in touch via your Wise World. Big hugs for all! Cousin Julie