Thursday, January 28, 2010

a few other things to note

Elsie isn't officially napping anymore, but really still needs a nap every day. She usually falls asleep on the couch, or I let her "rest" (she doesn't like the word "nap" anymore) on our bed. Isn't she cute?!
Funny thing Elsie says: "This is driving me nuts."

Today Elsie said to me "It sure is a nice day" in the sweetest, cutest little voice.

Elsie can get fired up real easily. She gets very animated, uses her arms, the works. We'll ask her what she wants and she'll say "Nuffin'" and move her arms like an baseball umpire doing "safe". She always likes to say "Nevermore" very dramatically. I guess you kinda have to be there, but it's hilarious.

At our ward Christmas party, the primary children sang "Far, far away on Judea's Plains", and all the kids shouted out the part that says "Glory to God, Glory to God..." Elsie wasn't old enough to perform, but her friend Olivia taught her the words to that part. Elsie loves to sing it all the time and is quite good at it. I just love that she'll randomly shout out "Glory to God".

I was looking at family reunion pictures the other night, and was reminded again what a great family I have. I'm so lucky to have such wonderful memories of childhood and adulthood associated with them. I was specifically looking at the lip sync pictures, and just laughed out loud. We sure do have a good time together!

A friend of mine lost her 22-year-old son in a car accident a couple weeks ago. He actually passed away on Elsie's birthday. I went to the funeral with another mutual friend. I feel for her. I've just been thinking a lot about the people in my life that I've lost over the past few years. It's weird how life goes on and you find a new "normal", but there's still a sadness (even bitterness) there that just won't go away.


I had to video this little tantrum Elsie was throwing the other day. I showed it to her today, and she thought it was hilarious. We watched it like 10 times in a row.

This should've gone with my post about Grandma and Grandpa visiting. A cute video of Elsie dancing in her skirt.

6 comments:

Angie said...

I need to see an Elsie fit when I come down. It sounds hilarious!!

And yes....bitterness and sadness still live with me as well.

Colleen said...

Elsie just cracks me up! All your stories of her are so funny and endearing!

auntiescary said...

Just Resting... reminds me of when I was a kid staying at Grandma & Grandpa Bates' in the summer. Both of them used to take a nap after lunch - Grandpa on the couch before going back to work for the afternoon and Grandma on their bed. I HATED the idea of napping and so I "GOT to just rest with my eyes closed" and they promised me I didn't have to sleep....

auntiescary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alissa Maxwell said...

I love your methods of getting Elsie to nap - whatever it takes!! I tell Owen he just has to rest for 20 minutes and he's always fast asleep when I peak in on him.

lysh said...

She says the cutest things! Seriously! I love the salon pictures. I feel like i get so far behind on blogging that I just don't think I can keep one. Then I catch up on other peoples and enjoy so much feeling a part of your life...it inspires me to keep trying to do mine.