Thursday, December 10, 2009

I want candy!

For many Christmases, my family would get together with the Woodruff's to decorate gingerbread (well, graham cracker) houses. We always looked forward to it and had such a fun time visiting, decorating, and making ourselves sick on candy and frosting.

I decided to give it a try again this year with some of our family friends. I emailed Janice to get instructions on how to make the houses and frosting, and she totally pulled through. Everything turned out just great.

Elsie sat by me on the counter while I made the frosting, and she was helping herself to some as well. Just like her mom!!
We had our friends the Collins' and the Eames' over. All the kids really enjoyed it. It made me so happy because it brought back good memories.







Not a big surprise...Elsie was very meticulous about where she put each piece of candy and didn't want ANY help.

The finished product. It took about 10 tries to get a picture where most of them are smiling and looking at the camera.

So Pam, Diana, and I decorated some houses when the kids finished theirs. The kids ran wild upstairs and down (the Dads were supposed to be watching them) while we attempted to be creative. We took a picture of the three of us, too, but I couldn't get myself to post it. Yeah, I'm not looking to great in it...no make-up, hair that needs a trim BADLY, and a few holiday pounds.

6 comments:

Angie said...

I am SO completely jealous! I was thinking about doing houses this year too...but you actually did it. Oh man such good memories!!

Did any of them try and "build on" to their houses? Or stuff the house with candy as "insulation"? Haha.

Colleen said...

I love Elsie's look of total concentration putting on the candy! What a fun tradition to bring back to your home!

Larry and Janice said...

Every December we miss you Bates even MORE during "gingerbread" house time!!!

Hey - it just gets better as the kids get older, remember? Who can forget these legends?
-the build-on porch additions
-Calvin & Hobbs Christmas scene with the cannon and the hole in the marshmellow snowman
- UW pride house
and more!

Best times ever with you guys! Love you all and miss you tons!

Piper said...

That is one of the best Christmas traditions!!! Glad you all had fun!

vaxcel lighting said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicole said...

Looks like you all had a blast! Our family loves making the gingerbread houses too - what a great tradition!