Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Princess Party

Elsie wanted to have a friend birthday party this year, and has been looking forward to it since this past summer. We debated over the theme and if it would be boys/girls or girls only. We finally settled on a Princess theme, and, of course, no boys allowed...except Daddy.

Elsie and I passed out invitations to some of her friends inviting them to the royal celebration. Everyone was also encouraged to dress up for the event. All the girls were pretty excited! I spent way more time worrying and preparing than I probably needed to for a 4-year-old's birthday party,but I can't help myself.

We decorated the house with lots balloons, streamers, and a princess banner. I was going to make a cool Princess cake, but Elsie said she only wanted to cupcakes. I kept it pretty simple, not that I have much skill anyway. We had funfetti and chocolate cupakes with pink frosting and purple sprinkles. I put confetti all over the table, and decorated with princess figurines, princess plates, and fancy (but plastic) glasses. The girls loved them!

One of the games we played was "Pin the Kiss on the Frog" and I had planned on drawing a cute, little frog for it. The night before the party came, and it finally dawned on me that I can't draw. I thought of calling one of the young women in our ward who is super talented to ask her to draw Naveen for me. Look at what an awesome job she did! She even hung around the party for a while to help out and play games.

Most of the party guests. Brooklyn, Elsie, Kadence, Kylee, Ellie, and Hailey. (Lauren and Madison hadn't arrived yet.)

Getting ready to play "Poisoned Apple" (like Hot Potato). If they were holding the apple when the music stopped, they had to "fall asleep" and wait to woken by a "(hershey's) kiss". They laughed and laughed so hard during this game. It was cute!


Lining up to kiss the frog!


We also played Jasmine's Magical Carpets (like musical chairs) and Princess Bingo.

My friend, Shelly, helped me turn a big box into a castle with cut-out windows for a beanbag toss. I was surprised at how much the girls like this game.

Things got a little crazy when it came time to open presents. Elsie was so excited, but the other girls were SUPER excited for her to open their gifts. They could hardly contain themselves. There was a lot of screeching, yelling, oohing and aahing, giggling, and hugging. I was so happy that Elsie was so grateful for everything she got.

She even gave everyone a hug after opening their present.


Then it was time for cupcakes!

There were enough cupcakes for them all the have at least two. Most of the girls could hardly finish one. I might have gone a little overboard with those!
Aaron was there the whole time helping me out and taking pictures/video. He got all the party favor bags ready with smile on his face...and an awesome crown on his head!

The party was a success! I think everyone had a good time. Elsie was in heaven! And we all took a long nap afterward. :)

10 comments:

Angie said...

Kimmie...I am super impressed with the whole party. Great decorations, fantastically creative games, and the smiles on Elsie's face definitely show how much fun she had!

Great job Mommy!

p.s. Aaron looks smashing in that crown. hahaha

Kacey Nielsen said...

I love the themed games. So fun! How can they already be four? It's just too crazy.

Nicole said...

Looks like a ton of fun! You really did a great job! What a bunch of darling Princesses and Prince!

Anonymous said...

SWEET! Love the pictures..I too have been awaiting the birthday post!! :) What an awesome party...gotta love it! Thanks for inviting the girls...they LOVED it and came home saying they wanted their party just like Elsie's!!

Annie said...

Those game ideas are great.

Earl Family said...

You are a great party planner! Everything was adorable :)

Piper said...

How fun!!! What a great party! CUTE CUTE Elsie!!

Colleen said...

Four! I can't believe it! And I LOVE how happy and into her party she is in all the pictures. You can tell she was just in 7th heaven! And I would have loved 2 cupcakes...they look delish!

Shelly said...

Thanks for posting this! I almost wish I had stayed to watch! (almost...) :) Glad they all had fun!

Shauna said...

what a fun princess party! love that all the girls dressed up...things I have to look forward to with Paisley. Glad to hear you got a nap after