Friday, January 7, 2011

The one and only reason I have bad feelings toward Disney...

...is the movie "UP"

I remember the first time I watched that movie, I was so not prepared for the whole first part where it shows Carl and Ellie's life together. I cried, just like many of you, I'm sure. It hit a little too close to home. We recorded it for Elsie and started watching it with her again last night. I remembered the part that made me a little emotional, but was not prepared for my reaction. I sunk a little lower in the couch because I could feel my throat start to tighten and could feel the tears coming. Then Elsie says something like, "She couldn't have her baby. Some girls can have babies and some girls can't have babies." And before I knew it, the tears started flowin'! I tried to keep it under control, so she wouldn't see me. I hid behind the blanket I was snuggling under, and I just wanted to cry so hard. Aaron gave me a little squeeze on the leg (he knows if he puts too much attention on me, I'll get to the out-of-control crying stage!) I feel like I have come to terms with the journey Aaron and I have had over the last nine years of trying to have kids, having and losing Paxton, the miracle of Elsie, the many disappoints and failed attempts, and finality of it as we have made our last attempts without the outcome we wanted. For some reason, though, it hits me at certain times, and I just cry. Elsie asked me as we watched the movie again today (seriously, child, why do you insist on this movie???), "Why can't some girls have babies?" All I could say was, "I don't know, Els." I don't know why things worked out the way they did. I know there is nothing wrong or weird about getting emotional about it, but I wish I could just not think about it. But, don't worry, I still love you, Disney!

9 comments:

Shelly said...

Kim, know you're not a baby, that movie makes me cry too and I don't like watching it!! If I have to watch it I come in later when the crappy sad part is over.
Sorry you've gone through so much. Elsie is lucky to have you as her mommy!
If you want, I'll give you another reason not to like Disney.
You notice how very few if ANY of their cartoons show a traditional family?
Sleeping Beauty is one of the few I could think that had both a mom and dad, but then she was given away to be raised by fairies!
Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, Sword and the Stone, Ariel (and others) are all missing at least one of their parents! Step mothers are always bad and the princesses fall in love with complete strangers, some of whom don't even have names!
Lovely...
:)
Quit watching UP!

Anonymous said...

It is a tear jerking intro and I don't blame you for not wanting to watch it. You have been through a lot and those feelings don't just go away. I hurt for you that your last efforts didn't go your way. Love you so much, daishan

Piper said...

I.LOVE.YOU.
It's okay to cry. I did too. There's no way to understand some things while we're here.
There's nothing that can make it fair.
Try to focus on the good. And know that you are loved, and we are sympathetic. I think about being in your shoes every day.
You are so strong. You are always happy when I see you, and I know that you struggle with some things inside.

Please please know that it PISSES me off too!!! Why? Why?
Sometimes, dear sweet Elsie, there isn't an answer. Yet.
Love you. so much.

::lindsay said...

Oh, man, this got me all teary. I don't know why things happen the way they do sometimes. They say life has trials and stuff, by why does it seem sometimes that life is so HARD and can sometimes overtake all the happy stuff?!

I agree, you are probably one of the strongest people I know and have handled all this with such grace. It amazes me how you have risen above all the hardship and are positive and at peace with your journey. It's obviously natural to get emotional about it, and I'm just surprised that you don't get emotional about it more often. I'm glad you were able to share your feelings with all of us too. Thank you.

Seriously, though, you are a rock star and I'm so glad we are sister-in-laws. I really look up to you in so many ways. You have no idea truly how amazing you are!

::lindsay said...

P.S. It made me all teary hearing Elsie say, "Some girls can have babies and some girls can't have babies." 4 year old girls shouldn't have to know that yet....

Angie said...

Sometimes there is just no easy way to answer lifes questions.
Don't be embarrassed about being emotional, or make apologies, it's been a long hard road, and very few people can totally understand the emotions and feelings that are involved. You are a strong person, Kimmie Cakes, because you have gotten through it and you are still standing....sometimes even with a smile on your face. I love you. I love Aaron. and I love the little miracle baby Elsie! You have one of the good ones!

Myca said...

Kim it still makes me so sad to think about the trials that you have gone through. You are so strong, and I can't even imagine what a difficult road this has been for you. I wish we had the answers. You are such an amazing example to me....I love you.

Nicole said...

I am sorry Kim. Such a hard trial. I am sorry you guys have to go through that. Love you.

Mama T. said...

I hated that movie, too. Way too close to home for all of us. I love you! God will make it all right.