Sunday, May 15, 2011

Great Potato!




I did it! I ran a half marathon, and it felt pretty darn good!I originally set this goal last year, but I wasn't able to finish training and do the race because I got hurt. It was so important for me to be able to do it this year for so many reasons. I just needed to do it! There was a group of ladies from the ward that were training for it also, so it was so fun to have that in common and be able to suport each other.



This is all of us before the race. Anne, Jenn, Pam, Deidre, and I.

I'm not a fast runner, but I ran the whole thing and felt pretty good the whole time. My official time was 2 hrs. 13 min., but I'm taking a few minutes of that because we were in the very back at the start of the race. It took a long while to get going.

Pam's husband Dave drove us up to the start line, so we wouldn't feel so rushed in the morning. We took a little pit stop on the way up, but my nerves were still getting the best of me. After taking some pre-race pictures, we headed to the port-a-potties with just a few minutes left before the start. I was officially the last person out! How funny! The guy even announced it over the loudspeaker that they were all clear. Haha!!

During most of my training I ran by myself, so it was hard for me to get used to having so many people around me. I really enjoyed it when things started to spread out more. I loved having familiar faces along the way though... like my friends that were running and some of their husbands/families that watched along the way. (I told Aaron that they could just meet me at the finish line. He seemed relieved! It was his birthday, so I had to give him a little break.)

Aaron snapped some pictures of me right before the finish line. (I know the headband was SO not cool, but it did the job!)






The half marathon finishers! Pam, Me, Deidre, and Jenn. Our friend, Anne, ran the full marathon, so she's not in the end of the race pics.


Aaron, Elsie, and I after the race. I was so glad to see them!!



I had to get a picture with Pam. She rocks! She's a great friend, and has been such an important part of my life.


Besides some stomach issues the rest of the day, it was a great experience! Now, time to train for the St. George Marathon!

13 comments:

Annie said...

Wow! I can't even imagine running for two hours. I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Annie. Congrats on a big achievement. You look great. Good luck in the next one.
Mary

Kacey Nielsen said...

Congratulations! That is really really an awesome thing to have accomplished and all of your work has paid off. You look very healthy and fit! And sweaty... but I am guessing that was more of a "moment of thing"

Jon is running St. George too! Just think, you will have three extra cheerers at the finish line. Is that motivation or what :)

Myca said...

Awesome job Kim!!! Isn't it a great feeling to have accomplished that? So you got into st. George? I am so excited for you! If you ever want a running buddy call me. :)

Colleen said...

That is so awesome, Kim! 2 hours and 13 minutes IS fast! Congrats and good luck on the next one!

dirty>south said...

i CAN imagine running for 2 hrs but it made me tired. nice job kimmermania.

Angie said...

All of this sounded horrendous (especially the upset stomach after), but I am proud of you. And if you ever need a running buddy...yeah, don't call me!

Earl Family said...

Wow! What an accomplishment. Way to go!

Alissa Maxwell said...

Yea Kimmy! We would be great running buddies - I ran 2:09 last fall. Doesn't it feel awesome? Such an accomplishment. If you ever need a vacation/running destination - head west to Bend!

Nicole said...

Way to go Kim! I knew you would do great! The stomach thing is the worst. Glad you had some great friends to run with and some great people to look for at the finish line!!

Shauna said...

you go girl! what an accomplishment!! so glad you didn't get injured and how fun that you could do it with some girl friends!

Piper said...

Way to go Kim! You did it! Love you!

Janice & Larry said...

WOW - Huge! Congratulations, Kim!