Monday, November 24, 2008

hmm??

Two summers ago Aaron and I went on a little weekend trip with some of friends from UT. While we were there, a bunch of the gals were talking about this book that was so amazing and romantic and were obsessing about it. I had never even heard of the book, so, of course, when I got home I ran to the bookstore and bought Twilight. I read it. It was fine. I was entertained enough to keep reading. That was that. Then I kept hearing more and more about it and all the books that followed. I heard of grown, adult women having getting a little too "excited" while reading these books or wearing their wedding dresses to the book release party. Wow, that just about put me over the edge. Seriously?! But, the obsession never stopped with all these women everywhere...except for me. (Believe me, I know how to obsess...Justing Timberlake, anyone?!)So, now I'm wondering why I seem to be the only person I know who didn't run out to see the movie this past weekend. What's wrong with me? Something must be off because I'm the minority here!! Maybe I'm just not romantic enough. Or maybe it just got too hyped up for me before I read it, so my expectations were too great. I like fantasy-type books, so that's not it. Maybe I'm just boring. Hmm?? Now, put on The Notebook, and I could watch that all day!!

7 comments:

Angie said...

you already know my thoughts on this...

Mandi said...

There is nothing wrong with that! I read them and liked them...and saw the movie this weekend. However...didn't do it at midnight, and I do not have any dreams of marrying Edward! Anyway, I don't think there is anything wrong with you....and I am all with you on the Notebook!
P.S. Did you read the rest of the books or only Twilight? I think they get better as you get further into the series

mumovearls said...

I was Holding out. But I wached the movie out of curiosity and it was good I thought so now I'll read the book... uhmmm definitely will not be wearing a wedding dress around or dreaming about Edward... -n

Jill said...

I hadn't even heard about the books until a couple of months ago. I remembered how I hadn't heard of Harry Potter until the fourth one came out and how much I loved those, so I thought maybe the same thing would happen. Well, Twilight was okay. Obviously no competition with HP. They were a super fast read, but I was a little shocked at how obsessed people were-and how I had apparently ignored that for years. The upside of this, is all the Young Women seem to love them, so that ingratiates me to them a bit, my having read them. My girls night out group got tickets and we went. One of thier sisters is obsessed and rented a theater. I don't know if the movie would have been as much fun had I not been in a theater where I knew a few hundred people.

Colleen said...

I definitely felt the same way as you about the books. Interesting enough, but I don't get the hype over them. Seriously? Wedding dresses? That's just freaky. But I was excited for the movie because I could tell all the stuff that was annoying about the books was going to have to be cut out in a short two-hour movie. It was pretty dang good, but there was definitely some cheesyness, so be prepared for when you do see it. Final verdict: Movie better than book. Which is rare.

Annie said...

Kim-I totally agree. I read the first one, liked it, and had to read the others (which were crap) to finish the story. I also haven't seen the movie yet. I want to see the movie, I just don't know if I want to see the movie with the other people who are watching the movie.

My theory is that the people who are obsessing over these books haven't read any books before, so they don't know that other books are good, too. Or, their lives are really pathetic and think guys like Edward/Jacob actually exist.

janae said...

I'm worse than you. I haven't even read the book. I read the back cover and that scared me away. I probably will see the movie though, especially after reading one of the comment above about the movie being better than the book..